Effective refrigeration is an important part of managing your vaccine program. Does your practice know what to do in the case of a temperature anomaly? What about when your vaccine refrigerator needs to be repaired?
Here are 6 tips for when vaccine temperatures go outside of normal limits:
- Investigate and determine how long the vaccine temperatures have been out of range
- Check to see if the refrigerator door is ajar or making an unusual noise
- Inventory the vaccine affected currently in the refrigerator
- Move vaccines to a temporary refrigerator that is working appropriately
- Contact the vaccine manufactures to determine the status of the vaccines
- Document the entire incident, results and actions taken to prevent another temperature excursion
The Immunization Action Committee created a helpful form to complete after an unacceptable vaccine storage event. This handout and other storage and handling tools can be found here: https://www.immunize.org/clinic/storage-handling.asp
If you determine that a refrigerator needs to be repaired after a temperature anomaly, here some sources of good refrigerator repair information:
- Refrigerator manufacturer
- Your medical supplies and equipment provider
- Commercial appliance repair company
- Other medical practices or hospitals in your area
- Restaurant equipment repair companies
CPP Buying Group has a robust collection of Vaccine Storage and Handling resources. In addition, we can help with the purchase of a new vaccine refrigerator or freezer. Our Vaccine Storage Equipment Educational Program (VSEEP) provides grants of up to $750 to offset the cost of vaccine storage equipment. Contact our office for more information.
[…] more information, see our blog posts on Handling Vaccine Temperature Anomalies and Refrigerator Repairs and on our LogTag temperature monitoring equipment discount for members. And remember, if you need […]
Comments are closed.